Monday 30 January 2012

Ag doll clothes tutorial

First: a shirt!
I started with this WEIRD "rearview mirror T-shirt" I found at one of the more obscure dollar stores nearby. (Yes, it does say "My other car is a piece of junk." That was one of the tamer quotes! I plan to cover that weirdness with something cute at some point in the future.)I simply cut it straight down the back and added velcro.
Next up: Pants!
I used a pair of outgrown baby pants.
STEP ONE: Put the pants on your doll, inside-out. Pin around her legs to make the pants fit, as shown in the photo, using the original elastic waistband. This particular waistband is a little bit bulky, but it works fine.
STEP TWO: Carefully remove the pants, sew where you pinned, and put them back on the doll to check the fit. If everything looks okay, go ahead and trim away the excess. (I ended up going back to raise the crotch of the pants just a little for a better fit.)
STEP THREE: Fold up the bottoms of the pants and pin in place.
STEP FOUR: Carefully sew the hem. If your pants are made from a stretchy fabric, avoid stretching it as you sew, or you will end up with a wonky-looking hem. I pinned my hem high so I wouldn't have to worry about removing pins as I sewed, and I sewed from the inside (which was the "right" side!) of the pants.STEP FIVE: Trim away the excess fabric from your hem, and the pants are done!

Next up: Knee-High Socks!
I got my ankle socks on the dollar aisle at Target. Ankle socks are also available at the dollar store.
STEP ONE: Same idea again! Put an inside-out sock on your doll and pin around. I stretched it around the ankle area to make it fit closely.
STEP TWO: Sew around and trim, and you are done! I love how this pair ended up with white toes and heels -- just like big people's socks!!








No comments:

Post a Comment